Sunday, August 12, 2012

The Highs and Lows of Perseverance

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence.  Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent.  Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.  Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts.  Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.  The slogan “Press on” has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”  John Calvin Coolidge Jr.

Perseverance. This word is defined (by dictionary.com) as: steady persistence in a course of action, a purpose, a state, etc., especially in spite of difficulties, obstacles, or discouragement.

Ever had one of those days/weeks/months/years where it just seems like (or feels like) everything that could go wrong has gone wrong???

Ever had that moment just when everything seems to be going to plan (your plan, not God’s), and in one fail swoop, everything just seems to crumble at your feet???

Some days, it is like wonderful progress (3 steps forward).  Others, you wonder why you even bothered to get out of bed (4 steps back). 



To reach certain goals, it is almost like being in the middle of a 3-ring circus.  Some days, you feel like the tiger being forced to jump through hoop after hoop after asinine hoop.  As if that wasn’t bad enough, they decide to light some of the smaller hoops on fire.  Other days, you feel like you are walking on a tightrope………one tiny slip and *poof*.  The distance across from the ground looks manageable and easy, but once you get right up to it…….it becomes a million miles long and nearly impossible.

That is how life seems at times…….at least to me.  Reaching, striving, and fighting to reach the goal(s) I have set for myself.  At times getting angry, crying (a lot), and becoming so frustrated that I simply want to say %#^& you and give up.  The idea of “Press(ing) on” seemed completely unreasonable as I felt a particular goal would never be met.  The harder it became to reach a goal, the more I seemed to demand/take control over it.  The “Give it to God.” philosophy was all but out the window, because things weren’t happening according to “schedule”…….and we all know how much I love those.
Just keep swimming.  This was the running mantra of late.  My sweet DH would sing it to me and text it to me when I was feeling low, frustrated, or discouraged.  I must admit, at certain times, it was annoying simply because I was in a wallowing mood and didn’t want to be positive and upbeat at the moment.  I must admit, many times I would find myself chanting “Just keep swimming” over and over again as I was jumping through hoops and tightrope walking.

The more control I decided to take over the process(es), the harder it became.  I would get more frustrated and take more control.  It simply became a vicious circle.  It always seems to work that way.  (As a side note, why haven’t I learned this lesson yet???)  Things only seem to take shape and work out when I finally decide to give up control and allow God to do what He knows is best for me.  (Another side note, apparently I need to reread last week’s patience posting......on a regular basis)  I need to remember that God’s plan isn’t on my schedule……no matter what I do or how hard I try. 

No comments:

Post a Comment